ENT (Ear Nose and Throat) is a branch of medicine that deals with problems related to ears, nose, and throat. Doctors who have a specialization in this field are called ENT specialists. These specialists also treat conditions affecting the parts of your head and neck.
ENT encompasses a host of conditions. Although most issues are usually treated with medicines, some may need surgery. Here are some of the common ENT related conditions-
Common ear-related problems
- Ear infections
- Hearing loss
- Balance disorders resulting from ear conditions
- Congenital disorders (from birth) of the inner and outer ear
Common nose related problems
- Prolonged jaw pain resulting from sinus pressure
- Growths or polyps in the nasal cavity
- Deviated septum or other nasal blockages
Common throat related problems
- Bronchitis from ear or sinus infections
- Sore throat
- Vocal cord disorders
- Throat cancer
- Swallowing issues due to Esophagus disorder
Common head and neck related problems
- Tumors in the head or neck
- Facial deformities or trauma
Acute and chronic ENT conditions
ENT conditions can be acute or chronic. It is important to know the difference between the two to understand if your condition needs medical attention.
Acute conditions usually occur suddenly or infrequently, for instance, a single case of strep throat or a one-time ear infection. At times an acute condition may also become chronic or recurring. In both cases, it is better to consult an ENT specialist.
However, there could be certain issues that do not get resolved easily. Such issues also tend to come back repetitively over time. These are known as chronic or recurring ENT issues. Lumps that do not go away or ear infections that keep coming back are some such chronic or recurring ENT issues.
Some of the ear, nose or throat-related issues are mild and do not need an ENT consultation. Some others may also be treated effectively by your primary care physician or General Physician (GP). GPs have the required training to help with mild ENT conditions. consult with the best general physician online on Docgenie.
ENT problems that can be treated by GPs-
- Sore throat that has not crossed four weeks
- Sinus infection or cold that has not crossed three weeks
- Nasal obstruction that has not crossed three weeks
- Acute hoarseness that has not crossed two weeks
- Mouth sores that have not crossed two weeks
- Common cold and cough
- Dizziness without ear pain or other symptoms
- Ear pain without hearing loss
ENT problems that need urgent medical attention for ENT specialists-
- Sudden hearing loss- you can also experience dizziness from your sudden hearing loss.
- Difficulty in breathing or if there is a wheezing sound when you breathe – this could be due to some blockage in the voice box or windpipe. Difficulty breathing may come on suddenly along with chest pain, fainting, nausea, and vomiting. It could also be a chronic health condition like asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Prolonged lump, mass, or soft tissue infection in the face and neck – especially if the infection persists even after taking antibiotics.
- Chronic ear, nose, and throat infections, like strep throat, ear infections, and Sinusitis.
- ENT conditions that affect your sleep or lead to sleep apnea – a condition in which breathing repeatedly starts and stops during sleep.
- Prolonged hoarseness.
- Prolonged sore throats, ear infections, or colds – especially if the condition persists after four to five weeks.
- ENT conditions that might need a biopsy or endoscopy.
- Dizziness along with chest pain, breathing trouble, numbness in arms or legs, seizures, and vomiting.
Some of these conditions could also be symptoms of serious underlying health issues. If you are experiencing any of the above issues and symptoms, and are looking for an online ENT doctor consultation, you can book an appointment with a highly specialized ENT doctor on DocGenie. ENT doctor online appointment and consultation is extremely easy, cost-effective, and can be done from the comfort of your home.
DocGenie is an online telemedicine platform that provides you with quality healthcare from the comfort of your own space. On DocGenie, you can book an online consultation with highly qualified doctors as well as book lab tests for home collection.